[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fiction By Best Selling Author & See Long Synopsis

  • From: "Nehemiah R. Hall" <trekman13@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:00:11 -0500

I wish I had sight, just to see that... :)
Nehemiah
"Back in the sixties he was part of the free speech movement at Berkeley.
I think he did a little too much LDS." Captain James Kirk, Star Trek IV.
The Voyage Home
Email: trekman13@xxxxxxxx or trekman13@xxxxxxxxx
MSN: strongeagle2197@xxxxxxxxxxx
aim screen name: NehemiahRepublic

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:23:04 -0400 Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

Yes,  but you have now seen that my 'shooting from the hip' created a bit
of commotion,  which is what I wanted to get.  Perhaps the creators of
these most Sybillic of entries will eventually pay a little attention.  I
can shout because I do not make policy and my bites are, well. . .
toothless.  I will now resume being a 'kinder, gentler' Guido. I will be
more than delighted to leave the rigeurs of the "Patriot Act" to our
revered and most diligent Federal Secretary of Justice.

But please folks,  every time I see one more of these cryptic tidbits I
feel I am trying to swallow a frog while reading tealeaves!

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/28/2004 12:23 PM Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

To"bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fiction By Best Selling Author & See Long
Synopsis

Guido,
Given all the other stuff that isn't nuked, I find it amazing that you'd
seriously suggest nuking a file for a bad or missing synopsis. It would
be absolutely unforgivable, in my not so humble opinion, to nuke an
otherwise
exellent quality text because a synopsis went missing. Sure, its nice to
have meaningful synopses. but get real. Its hardly worth nuking the book
because one is not present. A volunteer who is validating could possibly
find one on amazon or Books A Million or bn.com, although I'm not sure of
the later. Just look in the reviews for the ones that say "book
description". those are taken from the book jacket and aren't copyright
protected. I agree that the original submitter should do it. But if they
don't, for heaven's sake, don't nuke the book just for that reason.

If we're worried about providing quality to paid subscribers, then
nothing less then excellent quality texts should be allowed on the site.
And then we'd irritate the folks who say, no! Any book is better than
none at all.
Mary