[bksvol-discuss] Re: Feeling like a fool!

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:54:35 -0500

Dear Monica, Valerie and Booksharian Friends,

Monica, I think the reason we're putting chapter headings in larger fonts and bolding them is so daisy will hop from chapter to chapter. Before learning this, I set my font for 14 point for the whole book. Before I thought it didn't matter. Now I'm glad to enlarge and bold for headings. Even with partial sight, I didn't realize numerous things about print books because I read braille first and always foremost. Now I feel as if I've worked in the publishing industry.

I recently bought my first book reader, the Book Sense. Listening to Bookshare books prepared by volunteers is so convenient because I can navigate by page or chapter heading.

Reading Publisher's quality books isn't as pleasant because most of them have no page numbers and some have no chapter heads the daisy reader recognizes either. When I turn off the Book Sense it remembers where I left off, but if I fall asleep listening, it takes forever for me to get back to where I last remember reading.

I wish we had permission to BSO PQ books and add page numbers, chapter heads, picture descriptions and ingredient amounts for recipes because as accurate as the text is, I feel PQ books are far less accessable to blind readers.

From experience I know Bookshare keeps solving problems as we identify them. I expect the PQ defects will be resolved eventually.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>