[bksvol-discuss] Re: Family trees in children's books

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:12:41 -0600

One way I've used successfully is to take each parent, and then do two ancestor charts, one for the mother and one for the father that are at the 'start' of the family, using the technique I came up with to describe pedigrees and ancestor charts for Bookshare. smile.

Since I used the mathematical models invented to describe the "pedigrees" of royalty (can you believe there's an entire area of research devoted to that? grin) it works well for describing family trees, as long as you break them this way into what are really 'lineage pedigrees' or ancestor charts.

Here's a link to the page in the volunteer manual on how to describe pedigrees.
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.8+A.+Creating+written+descriptions+of+Pedigree+and+Ancestor+Charts

If you need any help with it, email me or give me a call and we'll see if we can figure it out together.

I'd better throw in a caveat here, although it doesn't apply to Valerie. smile. The page and the technique are designed for sighted volunteers. So, don't waste your time reading this page in the volunteer manual unless you're sighted. It needs sight to use the technique because you have to look at an image of a specialized kind of graph in order to turn it into an easy-to-understand written description of the information in the graph.

Judy s.

Valerie Maples wrote:
Hey, folks!

I have a short children's chapter book (about 70 pages) with a portion of a five generation family tree (through third cousins of two sisters from same parents) and I have no idea how to describe or annotate it since it is a young reader's book.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!
Valerie