[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fair Quality Scans: No Longer Accepted

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:39:59 -0600

That's correct.  I suggest that until a better method is devised for
discarding fair books already in the queue,  I may want to do the
following:

Download the suspected 'fair' book and look for obvious bad quality.  As I
am using Kurzweil,  "tools/ranked" will also help to get a good idea of
reco quality. . . of course I will watch out for those foreign words or
technical words not in the dictionary that may skew the rating down
artificially.  I may want sometimes to consider ignoring capitalized words
as well. . . Those are in properties for the ranked spelling dialogue.  I
may have a good idea at this point if the book is bad or not.

Now I will try a test upload in step 2.  The book validation page will
give me  Bookshare's automated opinion about book quality.  Is  rated
accuracy below 98.6%?  If it is, and I agree with the 'fair' rating,  I
will reject the book.  If I am in doubt,  I will Close the browser to
abort the validation process;  I then will release the book;  and finally
I will seek guidance from list/Claire.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/16/2008 07:00 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fair Quality Scans: No Longer Accepted

Hi all,

No, Robert, it isn't that simple.  Some "fair" books are actually
better than that, so you can't reject them all out of hand.  They have
to be looked at.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons