[bksvol-discuss] FW: [Beneblog: Technology Meets Society] Remembering Peter Scialli

  • From: "John Glass" <John.G@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:25:41 -0700

Hello,

The following message is from Jim Fruchterman.

I know that the Bookshare.org community will be sad to hear of the
passing of one of our original staff members, Peter Scialli.

Peter Scialli at a computer, half turned to the camera, Bookshare.org on
the screen
<http://bp2.blogger.com/_lAXr465KvME/SGAlLMXw65I/AAAAAAAAATM/rrUqgzDqmdA
/s1600-h/peter.jpg>

Peter started working with me over twenty years ago, with his access
tech company ShrinkWrap Computing. The name was a play on Peter's Ph.D.
in psychology, which was his other career path beyond technology, which
he loved so well. Peter became one of the top dealers of the Arkenstone
reading machines, Benetech's founding social enterprise. When we sold
Arkenstone to another company, Peter offered to fill our technical
support needs on an interim basis. This coverage really helped with a
difficult transition.

Peter then stepped into the role of alpha Bookshare.org user and support
guy. His photo was our user photo (see the picture above). He was our
main and only tech support staffer for the early years of Bookshare.org.
He left us a few years ago to go back to his original profession of
psychology, and became a project director of a counseling agency.

Peter's impact on the field of access technology for the blind was
major. He moderated email lists, organized conference sessions (I
particularly remember Dueling Scanners) and wrote articles for the
journals in the field. Peter believed strongly in the power of
technology to help people with disabilities, became an expert in the
field and then committed himself to sharing that expertise widely.

His knowledge, sense of humor and dedication will be sorely missed.

--

http://www.benetech.org/
480 S. California Avenue

You are a subscriber to Benetech's BeneBlog, authored by Jim
Fruchterman, as: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To unsubscribe click this link:
Unsubscribe
<http://clickmeter.dundee.net/u?id=35510682.7fa3bdc9fb0831d3e1fcbce360e4
0f43&n=T&c=F&l=benetech>