[bksvol-discuss] FR7 and JAWS

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:03:53 -0500

The primary drawback to using FineReader instead of Kurzweil or OpenBook, is
that once you scan something with FR, you then have to save it and go to
another program such as Word to open the file and read it.  So you don't get
that immediate feedback about what has been scanned.  I don't have a problem
with this if I'm scanning a book because I'm not reading it while scanning
anyway.  But when I scan my mail, I like that immediate feedback so I can
determine whether to keep the piece of paper just scanned, make a note on it
in braille for later reference or toss it in the trash.  Of course, if you
don't let the mail pile up as I do, you can scan a few pieces at one time,
keep it in a neat stack and then have no problem figuring out what to keep
and what to toss when you get to Word for the reading.  That's really the
only access issue I have with FR7, and the beautiful scans I can get far
out-weigh the drawbacks.

Peace and Hope,

Donna