[bksvol-discuss] Re: Exciting Partnership with RNIB

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:19:02 -0400

Will the British volunteers be able to proofread the books we Yanks have scanned? And vice versa? Can we expect British volunteers to show up on this list?
On 3/28/2016 4:18 PM, Vanessa Wai wrote:

Hello Bookshare Volunteers,

We have an groundbreaking new partnership with the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) in the United Kingdom that will dramatically expand access to Bookshare. This was the partnership that we alluded to a few weeks ago and are delighted to be able to finally share with all of you. Our engineers have put in a tremendous amount of effort to prepare Bookshare for this partnership and it will go live this evening. As always with new ventures, we experienced some set backs and unforeseen challenges along the way. We do sincerely apologize for the technical difficulties that you have experienced as we worked through these preparations and challenges. Because of this new partnership, we now essentially have a parallel website in the UK, including the scanning and proofreading functions (that all of you use) for their staff and volunteers to prepare books for members of RNIB Bookshare. We are excited to be able to provide a platform that will connect people with disabilities to an online library of accessible e-books in the UK.

Read more about our partnership with RNIB: http://bookshareblog.wpengine.com/2016/03/benetech-announces-partnership-with-rnib-and-publication-of-bisg-quick-start-guide-to-accessible-publishing/.

Bookshare Team