[bksvol-discuss] Re: Exciting New Bookshare Feature

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:31:56 -0600

It just went live as a feature tonight. smile. I got to do some early testing on it a few weeks ago, as a volunteer guinea pig (grin) and was bowled over by how great this new search ability is! Being able to search in the contents of all the books for a phrase or a word is fantastic. Like you, Monica, I instantly found books I didn't know were in the collection that are ones I'm interested in reading. Yay, Bookshare!

Judy s.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Today feels like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. I haven't seen any posts about this today. Please forgive me if it has already been mentioned. I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store! Have you been to the Bookshare site tonight? If so, did you notice that they have quietly added full text searching of every book in the collection? You can type any word or phrase into the search box, and you'll get a list of books containing that word, along with an excerpt from the book. Isn't that cool? Bookshare has around 10,000 books with no synopsis, and there are more that are only in the fiction or nonfiction category that are hard to find. Now we can find them more easily because their contents can be accessed when we search for things. I just found a cookbook I had no clue Bookshare had. I have found several mysteries set in castles because I searched for them. Their synopsis said "none," and I had no idea what the books were about until tonight. Oh, and one more cool thing, they've moved the download link so that it's after the synopsis. Now it will be easier to see what a book is about and then download it. It's less keystrokes for us. Have any of you tried this yet? Monica Willyard