[bksvol-discuss] Exciting New Bookshare Feature

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:23:10 -0500

Today feels like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one. I haven't
seen any posts about this today. Please forgive me if it has already been
mentioned. I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store!

Have you been to the Bookshare site tonight? If so, did you notice that they
have quietly added full text searching of every book in the collection? You
can type any word or phrase into the search box, and you'll get a list of
books containing that word, along with an excerpt from the book. Isn't that
cool?

Bookshare has around 10,000 books with no synopsis, and there are more that
are only in the fiction or nonfiction category that are hard to find. Now we
can find them more easily because their contents can be accessed when we
search for things. I just found a cookbook I had no clue Bookshare had. I
have found several mysteries set in castles because I searched for them.
Their synopsis said "none," and I had no idea what the books were about
until tonight.

Oh, and one more cool thing, they've moved the download link so that it's
after the synopsis. Now it will be easier to see what a book is about and
then download it. It's less keystrokes for us.

Have any of you tried this yet?

Monica Willyard