[bksvol-discuss] Re: Everglades, River of Grass

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:48:09 -0800 (PST)

Everglades, River of Grass, is nonfiction. Here are
some excerpts from an Amazon review about Marjory
Stoneman Douglas, the author,and about the book: "Long
honored by the state and then by the nation a few
years before she died in 1998, she was a living legend
in the South Florida environmental movement....The
book played a huge part in creating public awareness
about the vital importance of the area and was the
prime impetus for the creation of the Everglades
National Park....A natural history of the Everglades
with a heavy emphasis on wildlife and the local
culture, written in a simple straightforward style.
This "just-the-facts" approach is used when recounting
the early history of the area, giving names and dates
of conquerors and explorers. The writing style
occasionally feels a bit dry but these moments quickly
pass as we get so caught up in reading ..."

G.Cindy