[bksvol-discuss] Etiquette on the Bookshare Discussion List

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 07:26:30 -0700

Housekeeping note:

Here's a time-tested rule of thumb - assume that by the time someone complains
On-list that OT chatter has become disruptive I have received one or more
notices that members have unsubscribed and one or more private emails from
members contemplating the same.

This is a great community - hard working and supportive of each other. How
about this as a suggestion for damping down the current traffic load?

Those of you who are experienced volunteers scan the list. Watch for the newest
members to come in or observe newer members' patterns of questions. Contact
them offline via email. Offer to mentor them in some sort of time or
content-bound way. For example, "I'll walk you through fine tuning your scanner
settings", "I use Open Office too so I'll help you translate the manuals'
proofing instructions about using Word into how it works in Open Office." In
cases like that it can be very helpful to afterward post a short summary of the
solution you discussed so that all benefit.

In the meantime there will continue to be plenty of very task-oriented as well
as perfectly appropriate communication with a more personal touch.

To ground this in numbers: Rick Costa just did a study for us of how many
applications come to us each month through the web site. Up to November 2010
that was 42 per month. It has now dropped from a high of over 300 one month to
a new normal of 160 applicants each month. The mutual support and shared
purpose of this community is evident in the chatter but keep in mind the
quadrupling of our new volunteer applicants. Keep in mind the urgency of their
needs for immediate answers to task-related issues.

Scott Rains
Benetch Fellow