[bksvol-discuss] End of Summer and Back to School with Bookshare.org Summer 2006

  • From: "Gustavo Galindo" <Gustavo.G@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:31:03 -0700

  <http://www.bookshare.org/>

Summer, 2006

Now over 28,800 Books on our site!

Welcome to the Bookshare.org Newsletter

Summer, 2006
In this issue:

We Have Over 1,000 Books in Spanish

Featured Book: A Sense of the World

Save on Institutional Access Packages

NFB-Newsline Service in Two More States

Our Most-Read Periodicals

Bookshare.org has New York Times Best Sellers

Top Public Domain Downloads

Two Featured Public Domain Titles

PublisherLookup.org from the AAP

Earn a Free or Discounted Subscription

About Bookshare.org

Unsubscribe from this newsletter

Bookshare.org Newsletter; Summer, 2006. Hello. I'm gustavo galindo, the Manager
of the Bookshare.org Website, and the editor of this newsletter. Bookshare.org
is the on-line digital library of accessible books with over 28,800 books and
periodicals. If you met us for the first time at one of the conferences we
attended this summer: NFB, ACB, AHEAD or AER, this is your first quarterly
newsletter. It's my pleasure to bring you up to date on the latest happenings
at Bookshare.org, share a bit of what we're working on for the remainder of
2006, and point you to additional resources available to the print-disabled
community.

________________________________

Bookshare.org Offers More than 1,000 Books in Spanish! Thanks to a very
generous grant from the Community Technology Foundation of California,
Bookshare.org is able to offer more than 1,000 books in Spanish in accessible
formats to our subscribers. This collection represents the standards of
contemporary Latin American fiction as well as the classics of Colonial and
Peninsular Literature. Click here to get more information about our
Spanish-language offerings <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Welcome.html?libros=1>
.

Para leer más acerca de nuestro servicio de libros en formatos accesibles en
idioma español, haz clic aquí
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/Welcome.html?libros=1> .

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

Featured Book: A Sense of the World by Jason Roberts Is Now Available on
Bookshare.org. A Sense of the World is a biography of James Holman (1786-1857),
a 19th-century British naval officer who became blind at 25, but nevertheless
became one of the greatest independent travelers of his time. Bookshare.org
subscribers can download this fascinating and gripping biography now in either
DAISY or BRF formats. Click here to get more information about A Sense of the
World <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=38776> .

To see what other books we've recently added to our collection of online
accessible books, now numbering over 28,800 titles, visit our New Books
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/BooksNew.html>  page in a new browser window.

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

Purchase a Book Package Between Now and the End of September and Save $45. Our
Back-to-School Book Packages are available in Three Options: 30 Books for $255,
60 Books for $405, or 100 books for $555! If you work in a school or college,
we know you're busily planning for the start of a new school year. Don't forget
to renew or purchase an Institutional Access Book Package from Bookshare.org
for your print-disabled students, so that you may provide them with access to
our over 28,800 books and over 150 periodicals. Purchase a Book Package between
now the end of September and we'll give you a discount. Our Book Packages are
available in three options: 30 books for $255, 60 books for $405, or 100 books
for $555. Get more info about our Institutional Access program by visiting our
Institutional Access Information Page
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInstitutionalAccess.html>  on our website,
or contact Susie Mckinnon, our School And Group Accounts Manager at
groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:groupaccounts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Question%20about%20Institutional%20Access%20mention%20in%20Bookshare.org%20Newsletter>
 , or 650-644-3433. After September 30th, our book packages go back to: 30
books for $300, 60 books for $450, and 100 books for $600. Keep in mind that
our repository carries thousands of K-12 and post-secondary supplemental books
and textbooks.

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

Idaho and Oregon contribute to NFB-Newsline Funding; Eligible State Residents
Gain Access to More than 150 Periodicals. Over this summer, the states of Idaho
and Oregon began contributing to the fund that allows the NFB to operate its
NFB-Newsline service. This means that eligible residents of these two states
who are current Bookshare.org subscribers are now able to access more than 150
periodicals, from local titles such as The Oregonian
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=oregonian&returnUrl=submittitleid=oregonian>
 , The Salem Statesman Journal
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=salem_statesman_journal&returnUrl=submittitleid=salem_statesman_journal>
  and The Idaho Falls Post Register
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=idaho_falls_post_register&returnUrl=submittitleid=idaho_falls_post_register>
  to national newspapers like The New York Times
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=new_york_times&returnUrl=submittitleid=new_york_times>
 , The Wall Street Journal
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=wall_street_journal&returnUrl=submittitleid=wall_street_journal>
 , USA Today
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=usa_today&returnUrl=submittitleid=usa_today>
 , and The Christian Science Monitor
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=christian_science_monitor&returnUrl=submittitleid=christian_science_monitor>
  plus magazines like The New Yorker
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=new_yorker&returnUrl=submittitleid=new_yorker>
 . All these titles are available to our subscribers in DAISY and BRF formats.

You can get additional information about the NFB-Newsline Service offered
through Bookshare.org by visiting our About Newsline
<https://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutNewsline.html>  page.

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

Most-Downloaded NFB-Newsline Periodicals! Over the past month, these are the
top five periodicals that our subscribers most often downloaded:

1.      The New York Times
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=new_york_times&returnUrl=submittitleid=new_york_times>

2.      The Wall Street Journal
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=wall_street_journal&returnUrl=submittitleid=wall_street_journal>

3.      The Washington Post
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=washington_post&returnUrl=submittitleid=washington_post>

4.      USA Today
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=usa_today&returnUrl=submittitleid=usa_today>

5.      Tie: San Francisco Chronicle
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=san_francisco_chronicle&returnUrl=submittitleid=san_francisco_chronicle>
 ; Washington Times
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SinglePeriodical.html?submittitleid=washington_times&returnUrl=submittitleid=washington_times>

A listing of all the NFB-Newsline titles current offered by Bookshare.org can
be found on the About NFB-Newsline Periodicals
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersPeriodicals.html>  page of our website.

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

New York Times Best Sellers Available on Bookshare.org. Last September we
launched a trial program to offer the top 10 Hardcover Fiction, Hardcover
Non-fiction, Paperback Fiction, and Paperback non-fiction to our subscribers.
Any time a book would appear in the top 10 New York Times Best Sellers Lists,
we would purchase a copy of that book, process it in-house and offer it to our
subscribers (often while the book was still on the best-seller list). This
trial program was such a tremendous hit with our subscribers, it is now a
regular Bookshare.org feature. Click here for a list of the 152 New York Times
Best Seller titles <http://www.bookshare.org/web/NYA.html>  we've added, plus
get a peek at the books we're working on for August.

[--return to table of contents--]

Public Domain titles are freely available to everybody, even if you are not a
subscriber or do not have a print disability. Aside from the file formats that
we offer our copyrighted books in, DAISY and BRF, our Public Domain titles are
also available in HTML and Text (ASCII).

Here's a list of the top 10 most downloaded Public Domain titles from
Bookshare.org.

1.    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=2081>

2.    Holy Bible, American Standard Version
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=2611>

3.    Holy Bible, King James Version
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=2698>

4.    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=1409>

5.    Wuthering Heights
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=5059>

6.      The 9/11 Commission Report
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=26620>

7.    The Count of Monte Cristo
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=4213>

8.    A Christmas Carol
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=655>

9.    Little Women
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=4749>

10.                       Pride and Prejudice
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=2332>

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

Two Cleaned-Up Public Domain Titles Featured: We recently scanned and submitted
these two Public Domain titles in-house.

*         Call of the Wild
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=38002>

*         Black Beauty
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/SingleTitle.html?submittitleid=596>

They look and sound great in a DAISY player, scan-and-read software,
refreshable braille devices, and web browsers. Feel free to download either or
both books to assess the suitability and ease-of-use either for yourself or
your students.

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

The Publisher Look-Up Service, A New Textbook Database Offering From The
Association of American Publishers (AAP): Here's a new resource to help our
post-secondary students and the staff that support them track down accessible
college-level textbooks that may not already be available on Bookshare.org or
through other providers. The Publisher Look-Up Service, www.PublisherLookup.org
<http://www.publisherlookup.org/> , is a Web site interface that AAP is
launching in mid-August to help college disability services professionals
search for the appropriate contacts at textbook publishing companies from whom
to request electronic formats and/or scanning permissions. Click here to read
the AAP's press release announcing this service
<http://www.publishers.org/press/releases.cfm?PressReleaseArticleID=338>  and
explaining it in greater detail.

[--return to table of contents--]

unlimited "all-you-can-read" access to our collection of almost 30,000 books
plus periodicals. Renewals cost only $50! However, we know that for some
members of the Bookshare.org community, $50 is actually a lot. We strongly
believe that our members can help themselves at the same time they help others.
Every time one of our members scans and submits a new book, or becomes an
on-line volunteer and validates a book that somebody else has submitted, that
member earns credit that get applied against the cost of an inaugural
subscription or a renewal.

Since the start of 2006, 5 of our members have earned entirely free new
subscriptions through their Bookshare.org community volunteering efforts. In
that same time, 40 members have earned their renewals at no cost to them. Over
130 members have defrayed part of their subscription fees. At the same time,
these members have helped us add over 3,500 new titles to Bookshare.org since
the start of the year.

Learn how you can earn credits by submitting new books that you scan
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/MembersSubmitForm.html> , or volunteering to
validate books that others have submitted
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutVolunteering.html> .

[--return to table of contents--]

________________________________

About Bookshare.org, Books without Barriers--Bookshare.org is an online
community that enables people in the United States with visual or other print
disabilities to legally share scanned books.

Bookshare.org is a project of the Benetech Initiative, a nonprofit
organization. The Benetech team originally developed the Arkenstone reading
systems, and is now using the power of technology to introduce new projects
such as Bookshare.org.

*         www.benetech.org <http://www.benetech.org/>  (opens a new browser
window)
The Benetech Initiative
480 California Ave., Suite 201
Palo Alto, CA 94306
USA

[--return to table of contents--]

 .

How to subscribe-Stay in touch with the developments of Bookshare.org through
the quarterly email newsletter. Sign up to receive the newsletter by sending an
email with "subscribe" in the subject line to bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:bookshare-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> . Join our online
discussion group by sending an email with "subscribe" in the subject line to
bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:Bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe> .

[--return to table of contents--]

 www.bookshare.org  <http://www.bookshare.org/>

Flexibility

Download accessible books in DAISY or BRF formats--which work with most
adaptive technologies

Subscription Options

Sign up for an Individual Subscription or School and Group Account

Accessibility

Subscriptions are ideal for qualifying students and adults who are
Visually-Impaired, Learning Disabled or Mobility Impaired

Our Collection

Read fiction and non-fiction bestsellers, classics, textbooks, newspapers and
magazines

Learn More Today

Visit Bookshare.org <http://www.bookshare.org>

About Membership <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutMembership.html>

Individual Subscriptions
<http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutIndividualSubscriptions.html>

Schools & Groups <http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutGroupAccounts.html>

Press Room <http://www.bookshare.org/web/PressRoom.html>

Partners <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Partners.html>

Legal Information <http://www.bookshare.org/web/Legalities.html>

Contact Us <http://www.bookshare.org/web/SupportContactUs.html>

Bookshare.org was created and is maintained by Benetech, a nonprofit
organization. Copyright © 2001-2006. All other product names are the trademarks
of their respective manufacturers.

The Bookshare trademark is used under license from its registered owner,
Follett Library Resources division of Follett Corporation.

  <http://www.benetech.org/>

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image