[bksvol-discuss] En and Em dashes

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:37:24 -0700 (PDT)

After the recent posts, I've been using two hyphens
for the em dash. Interestingly, and I did not know
this before even though I was an English teacher at
one point in my life, and at another a copy editor and
a proofreader, the en dash is different and is usually
used between dates and page numbers. Put en dash in
google and you'll get some good explanations and
examples.

When I learned that, for a while I actually used it
when validating, but I realized that was a waste of
time; it is hardly distinguishable from a hyphen, and
I don't think in real life that anyone uses it any
more, though The Chicago Manual of Style mentions it.
It is a little bit longer than a hyphen and shorter
than an em dash. For those of you, if there are any,
who want to know the derivation, it comes from when
print was set by hand; the en dash is the width of a
capital N and the em dash is the width of a capital M.

All you [didn't] want to know and more. grin

G.Cindy
--- Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> HI,
>
> I thought the m- was for the double dash like -- and
> n- was for the single
> dash.
> Is this not the case?

AVAILABLE AT