[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ellipses

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 20:45:32 -0700

What I remember from past go rounds on this are:

The bookshare braille conversion tool doesn't handle the ascii ellipsis code correctly (seems to be still true from the current thread).

Braille users tend to prefer a space, three dots without any spaces and then a space, unless there is a punctuation mark at the end then no space is used, for an ellipsis.

Whether there are spaces before or after or not, most screen readers call three dots with no spaces between an ellipsis.

Three dots with spaces between is read as dot dot dot by most screen readers.

There is no absolute agreement on how to do this.

And just a personal comment about what I see in books; the space between dots in ellipses seems to be increasing these days.

Misha

Scott Rains wrote:
Hi all,

I'm tracking the volume but haven't dug into the content of this thread yet. It will be a couple hours before I am able to do so.
If someone would be so kind as to author - and label - a
"what-we-have-discovered-to-date" summary post on ellipses in about 1 hour it
would be a help to me.

Thanks

Scott Rains
Bookshare Volunteer Coordinator, Interim