[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ed Sharp and proofing for Bookshare

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 08:24:53 -0400

Hi all,

Jackie, what needs to happen is that when you go down through a file using the down arrow key, the screen reader needs to say "page break". If it just reports the new page, that indicates a soft page break, but if it actually says "page break", then you know the difference. Jaws and WE do this, System Access does not.

What needs to happen in Ed Sharp is that the form feed char, think that's what it's actually called, needs to be announced or revealed or whatever you call it. Otherwise it won't do us any good at all to have the page numbers in the status line. You don't keep checking the status line, you hear the change in page numbers, either when doing a continuous read or when moving with the up and down arrow keys. The status line is fine, but it will not help if you're doing a continuous read, and who checks the status line anyway? No, Jamal needs to mimic what Jaws and WE do somehow.

Ann P.