[bksvol-discuss] Re: Eats, Shoots and Leaves

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:48:54 -0500

Hi Cindy,

You bring up an interesting point. I just clipped those sections from the book, and that is one of the problems with the copy on Bookshare. It is often hard to understand the author's examples as they have been subjected to the OCR software. You can usually derive a meaning, or intent, from the text, but it would be nice to be able to follow along through the examples.
Coincidentally, I know of someone who just received the book for a belated birthday present, who is sighted, and who seems to have infinite patience for editing. I wonder if she would be interested in cleaning and fixing the copy on Bookshare?

Dave

At 02:10 PM 2/4/2005, you wrote:
My daughter just gave me the book as a belated
birthday present (I once was a hgh school English
teacher), but I haven't read more than the cover flap
yet. Looking at your excerpt here, it sounds very
enjoyable.

Dave, your example sentence about the hospital is
*really* confusing -- you used double quotes instead
of single (smile).  I get the idea, though.

I did do one book that reversed the use of single and
double quotes. Ever since books have been getting
lost, I've been keeping the files I worked on, so I
just checked, and the book was Johnny Tremain (and I
found that in one case I did what you did, Dave, and
automatically put a double quote at the beginning of
the sentence when it should have been, because of the
stle of the rest of the book, a single quote). I don't
understand why, though; I thought Esther Forbes was
American, but maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe in the early
days of our country books were written that way and
she wanted to use the old style.