[bksvol-discuss] Re: Duplicating NLS Titles

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:24:08 -0700 (PDT)

There is a fifth reason for scanning everything that we can get our hands on
including NLS titles. For those of us who have vision problems but are not
blind, we can read large print but often with difficulty. By being able to see
the print and hear it at the same time either by using screen readers or
software like Kurzweil, we can use both our audio and visual senses at the same
time. As you know, people with vision disabilities including blindness often
have difficulty spelling. However, by being able to see the word in print or
feel it in Braille and also hear it, spelling problems decrease. This is
especially important for children who are learning to read, spell, etc. Also,
for people who have learning disabilities such as Dyslexia, often using two
senses helps them to process information more effectively and thus increases
their compentency in reading comprehension which is important in both the
academic and professional worlds.

  Barbara

"Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  And they have sub contracted their braille transcriber course, smile, to NFB

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.