[bksvol-discuss] Difficult scan

  • From: "Christine Parsons" <christine-parsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 20:58:36 -0600

Hi all,

I am currently scanning a book that is giving me quite a lot of trouble, and
perhaps some of you can give me a hand. I'm fairly new at scanning entire books
(mostly I've had experience with handouts and short packets for my classes).
This is a book of poetry in multiple languages. Each page contains a poem
centered on the page, then below it there is a literal English translation in
two columns. Is there any setting in OpenBook 7.0 that will make this any
easier to scan? I have actually been placing a blank sheet of paper over the
columns, then scanning the poem with "recognize columns" turned off. Then I
uncover the columns, place the sheet of paper over the poem, and scan the
columns with "recognize columns" turned on. The poems by themselves scan fairly
well with "recognize columns" turned off, and the double-column English
translations by themselves  scan beautifully with "recognize columns" turned
on, but I can't get both parts to scan well if I try to scan them all at once
with "recognize columns" turned on or off. I know my method probably sounds
crazy, but I can't figure out any other way to do it. What I'm doing now is
really time-consuming, too, which is why I am hoping some of you might have
some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any advice. Also, if there isn't an
easy answer, maybe you could recommend a similar book that is already in the
collection. My instructor said that we can use any book of poetry, as long as
it has the poem in its original language accompanied by a transliteration (a
literal translation of the poem). I've done some searching of the collection,
and I haven't come across anything like this, but maybe (hopefully) I'm missing
something. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Christine