[bksvol-discuss] Re: Different fonts in a book

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:33:02 -0500

Cindy, one of the cool things about using rtf and Microsoft Word is that we actually can have our screenreader use a different voice for bold or italic words and headings. We can also have the screenreader use a different voice for quoted text or text that changes fonts or colors. The problem is that the files we get from Bookshare are in Daisy format, not RTF, and don't seem to have the special formatting in them. I can still have my screenreader speak quoted text in a different voice though, and that helps with dialog sometimes. I can't speak for all screenreaders, but I know that JAWS does a nice job of speaking changes in fonts and such in Word and other programs. Even so, this feature is something I think many of us reserve for proofreading and may not turn on during reading for pleasure since knowing a font's name doesn't tell me what it looks like. I haven't bothered with it in my submissions because I didn't think it would translate into the Daisy format. For compatibility with speech, I've been putting my fonts in both submissions and validations as Times New Roman, 10 points. When I get the Daisy format of my books, it shows up as Arial, 10 points. If we find that fonts are being retained, I will have to work harder to notice things like fonts and won't adjust them for comfort in my own reading.

Monica Willyard