[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dickens' novels

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:05:07 -0500

Sue,

Perhaps Dickens was a bit of a romantic despite writing in the Victorian age
of "realism" because I find that he has a tendency to create unrealistic
series of female characters.  Lucie Mannette, for instance, keeps this
streak alive.  Sydney Carton's description of her as a "dall" is quite
significant and telling.  There is a tendency to believe that Carton's
life-ending sacrifice is mainly due to his hidden infatuation for Lucie, but
I feel that there is much more to it.  The use of  Monsieur Mannette's
amnesia is far too much of a cliché.  Don't get me wrong, there are some
extremely important and great passages.  In many ways, it is one of the
most effective  novels but I don't think I can forgive Dickens some of these
flaws.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Interim Director