[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dickens' novels

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:27:04 -0500

Almost all Dickens' novels are depressing.  "A Tale of Two Cities" has some
excellent passages, but I find to be quite unrealistic.  I agree with
Kellie's assessment of Oliver Twist.  "Pickwick Papers" is incredibly funny,
one of his funniest, I think.  "Little Dorret" is  the best, in my opinion.
"Bleak House" has one of the most incredibly unrealistic characters as one
of its protagonists, Ms. Summerset, and one has to ask: "what the heck was
Dickens thinking?"  Especially in a novel that deals with so much reality,
the chapters dealing with that character are absolutely "brain sores."  I
enjoy "David Copperfield's" language.

Pratik Patel
Interim Director
Office of Special Services