[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dickens' novels

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:19:04 -0600

To me, the award for the most unrealistic female characters in classic
novels goes to Dostoyevsky. I've read Crime and Punishment and Brothers
Karamozov, and all the women in both novels are completely neurotic! And I
don't want to hear comments about all women being neurotic, because even if
that's true the Dostoyevsky women are way more neurotic than even the most
neurotic real-life woman! <lol> The Dostoyevsky women all need to be put in
an asylum and sedated on a long-term basis, all except Raskolnikov's sister
who seemed pretty normal but didn't really have much of a part in the story.
It didn't even necessarily seem like Dostoyevsky hated women and so made all
his female characters evil. It seemed more like he didn't understand women
in the least and therefore couldn't possibly create an even remotely normal
woman character.

Ok, just my impressions. <grin>
Kellie