[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dickens' novels

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:28:06 -0500

A lot of Oliver Twist though was realistic.  and the experiences on the
streets and with the "gang of pick pockets" was based off Charles own life
when his parents were thrown in debeter's prison.  I think their idea of
locking up people who owed money was a bit flawed but it did help to
establish Georgia and to build the City of New Orleans.  And guaranteed that
the U.S. would have Bankruptcy laws.

Smile.

Indeed a bit of the plot was a bit over the top, but there was a lot of
realism.  he wanted to portray things in London and things that in society
no one wanted to talk about.  As he says in the prologue, this is not a
bright and sunny portrayal of England.

Smile.

I absolutely love the play too, and have the movie.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com