[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dialect in books

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 08:04:54 -0500

Cindy,

Do you mean dialect or a foreign language. I know dialect may be more difficult, especially when written, than Standard English but it is English mixed with what is often called slang or jargon. Huck Finn and the slave Jim spoke in a dialect. I have not read Forrest Gump but in the movie he was speaking English but with a slight southern accent. Now in Les Miserable there were songs that were not translated from the French and I still don't know what they meant but that was just carelessness on the part of the translator and editor but it was that or read an edtion which not only translated all of the French but rearranged and really edited the book, leaving me wondering what Hugo really wrote.

The book has a number of chapters about the Argot used by the criminals in the book and while it was difficult to follow and even more difficult to remember there was a reason for it and in those chapters Hugo explains it.

It is unfair to the reader to edit or "translate" the language of a book unless the reader knows you are doing it and it is clear that you are acting as an editor. See we supposedly just transcribe or scan and correct the scans I don;t feel we have the right to change the books unless you include a note after the original text with your translation and saying why you included it - not replace the original.

What is Bookshare's agreement with the publishers and their rule if any about changing the text of the books we scan and validate.

Sorry Cindy, I think you should just pass on books you feel the need to edit.

Amy