[bksvol-discuss] Desiree uploaded

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:31:04 -0500

I've finally finished validating Desiree and  have uploaded it. I'm sorry it
took so long. Sarah did an
excellent job of scanning and pre-validating, marking words she wasn?t sure of
with an asterisk and
marking pages that had to be rescanned. There was little fixing to do, just
some missing words here and
there, but I enjoyed the opportunity to read it again,

I didn't realize that it was written as diary pages, but I enjoyed it as much
as I did 50 years ago (my, time
goes quickly), even though the style seems a little strange compared to some
other historical novels,
perhaps because it was translated from the German, or because of the diary
style ? although one gets
used to it quickly. Desiree met Napoleon before he became famous and was
engaged to him before he
met Josephine. Eventually she married Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, first a
general, then a marshall of the
French Republic, and ultimately king of Sweden; they  and founded the Swedish
royal dynasty. This is a
historical novel ostensibly about her life but more about Napoleon and the
history and the details of his
life and life in France between 1794-1829 (after the Revolution of 1789, from
the period of the First
Republic). I looked up Bernadotte on line at one point ? the impression history
seems to have of him ,
before he became king, at least from two sources, is not as favorable as he?s
portrayed here, nor does
he look as I imagined him. I like this better ? and so apparently does the
autor.

I hope those of you who like historical fiction enjoy it. It?s an almost-600
page book, and 50 years old, but
the historical facts are , and it?s an interesting way to learn about that
period of time. Toward the end of
the book there?s a brief section about Lafayette ? I?d never wondered what
happened to him after our
revolution and his return to France, but it was interesting to learn.

Because we thought it would be easier to find in the collection, we left the
accents off the title.
English rather than American spelling of words. Also, there are a lot of
diacritical marks in the French,
German and Swedish names. I will keep the file. If Braille readers and/or
listeners find that these don?t
translate and make enjoyment of the book difficult I can re-submit without any
such marks. Or I can
submit a duplicate copy without the marks.