[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dealing with Sidebars

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:38:25 -0700

Hi Paula,

It has been my experience that all side bar stuff is not duplicated in the text. Either way, I think that deleting the mashed stuff is compromising the text. I'd say reject the book, and tell the submitter that a more careful scan needs to be done. Just my opinion. We can't mess with copyright laws by omitting text. So, I'd say, bite the bullet and reject the scan, asking for a rescan that is more careful to keep text that belongs together together. I've had to do a book with boxes and side bars, and it was definitely a bear to prepare for submission. Not a task for a half-hearted submitter.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:43 PM 3/26/2008, you wrote:
    I downloaded a book for validating, which was rated Excellent, but is a
bit of a mess in some places. It looks like there are sidebars, which
scanned as bits and pieces of sentences in various places. If I try to
figure out how to put each of the sentences back together, I could still be
working on the same book at this time next year. G!

    Since sidebars are generally drawn from the text, the information would
still be there if I delete all these random words. Is it permissible to
delete sidebars that don't scan properly, in order to clean up a book?

Paula