[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dealing with Photos & Captions

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:19:57 -0400

Hi all,

Original message:

        Does anyone else's screen reader read these characters as less than
and greater than?  Does anyone know why?

Yep, you've run smack up against a Britishism, Mayrie. We Americans call these things the less-than and greater-than signs. In England, they're angle brackets. Reminds me of my time in India when dictating for typing drill. I had to make a conscious effort to say "full stop" not period. All my students looked at me funny when I said period.

Since your screen reader probably has an American synthe, you're getting less-than and greater-than, not left and right angle bracket. Switch over to Jane or whatever the British voice's name is and try it then. I think you'll notice a difference.

Ann P.

Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Email services provided by the System Access Mobile Network. Visit www.serotek.com to learn more about accessibility anywhere.
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of 
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

Other related posts: