[bksvol-discuss] Dealing with Photos & Captions

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:30:46 -0700

Hi All,

In a recent exchange with a volunteer, the question of how to deal with photos
and captions came up. I talked to Carrie to see if she had a particular
approach that we could then try and standardize across the board (with such
things there tend to be no right or wrong methods but it would be great to
slowly but surely try to develop a uniformity of approach)

Here are the guidelines Carrie put forward for such cases:

* Remove the photos

* Retain the caption text.

* Separate it from the rest of the text with angle brackets <>

* Precede the text of the caption with "Photo caption:" to make it clear what
the text is.

Let me know if there are any questions regarding this.

Also -- if there are other areas where you think we need to formulate a
standardized approach please let me know -- and we can start working on them.
(These sort of things are really helpful to start clarifying as we work on
making the scanning and validation manual more comprehensive and complete).

All good things,
Pavi Mehta
Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare

Benetech