[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dash et al

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:06:30 -0400

Hello Mayrie,

I don't think I'll ever be capable of dispensing wisdom.  Knowledge
certainly, Wisdom never.

M-dash is the same thing as a long-dash.  It is called an m-dash because in
the old publishing fonts, the m-dash (or long dash) character matched the
length of the base of an uppercase M.  It is slightly shorter than double
dashes.

When Kurzweil actually hsows you the double dash characters in braille, that
does represent an m-dash.  So, unless you're absolutely certain that the
single dashes are supposed to be long dashes, I wouldn't recommend chainging
them in Kurzweil.

I hope this makes it clearer.  Please let me know if I can answer anything
else.

Regards,

Pratik