[bksvol-discuss] Re: Daphne Du Maurier books

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:34:23 -0500

Dear Grand Cindy, and Booksharian Friends,

I read My Cousin Rachael a few months ago, and I was hoppin frustrated. Promise me real people can't keep up a false front as slyly and as long as that dastardly, insipid, treacle-mouthed Rachael!

I don't think you'll be a scared as you'll be infuriated that people don't see through Rachael's sweetsy act. She's a double shoveling gold digger. I went out of my mind watching people be ensnared by her, and to see the young heir so besotted that he resented the few warnings he got.

Trust me, Cindy. You won't be scared, much, by this one, but read it. You'll install Rachael in your villainess Hall of Fame!

Daphne's characters suffer severely, even mortally from the "Love is blind," syndrome.

I'll gladly validate one of her books. I've only read Rebecca and My Cousin Rachael, and I'd love to read another. I will say that if the plot doesn't vary much from those I've already read, the third may be my last. With Bookshare I have so many reading choices, that I'll probably opt for variety and leave my De Morier tally at three. I can't wait to read and decide.

It is great when we find a niche in the collection where a good author has been overlooked. It will be a pleasure filling it.

It was because I enjoyed My Cousin Rachael that I decided to read another Gothic, Nine Coaches Waiting, which I'd missed when the Mystery Group read it. Bookshare has it and it was an exciting read, more scary than My Cousin Rachael, Grand Cindy.

For anyone who enjoys Gothics, or romances, I validated Mayrie Renae's scan of On Winding Hill Road, which is in the collection now. It's a contemporary gothic set in the scenic hills of Sunny California! There's a sort of contemporary governess, a troubled single father, a race car driver, no less, a haunted young girl, and everything!

Always with love,

Lissi