[bksvol-discuss] Re: Dan Beaver's Volunteer Bio

  • From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:49:00 -0400

Hi Stacy,

Yes, FineReader does work with Jaws.  I am still on Jaws 10.

FineReader is an OCR package.  My scanner did come with a promo version.  I
purchased a newer full version though.  I am using FineReader 9.  I
purchased v 9 because it supports scanning of multiple pages in the same
session and also supports scanning pages that face each other and will split
them out as separate pages automatically.  These 2 features speed the
scanning process tremendously.

I would say that you probably can use your system with Jaws and Finereader
and MS Office.  However, with only 1 GB of ram you may find it runs quite
slowly.  If you can find the spare money you might want to add another gb.

When I use MS Office and do my cleaning/proofing I find it necessary to have
the settings such that I can see many control codes in the documents with
Jaws.  I am thinking of page breaks, paragraph markers, linefeeds, column
markers,section breaks.  You will not want to turn on display of
non-printable characters.  this makes Jaws see a dot/period for every space
and lots of other non-printable characters.  It becomes very much confusing
in this situation.

I hope this is helpful.  If you have other questions just send a note and
I'll respond.