[bksvol-discuss] Re: DAISY navigation in publisher quality books

  • From: Gmail For Deb <djoutland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 17:08:52 -0400

Hi, Judy,

I think you are exactly right!  The lack of a standard way of navigating ebooks
is widespread!  I first noticed this when I was gathering information to lead a
study group where I had the electronic form, and most participants had paper
copies.  You just can't cite from the ebook, and find it in the paper one!
That makes using such books frustrating at least, and virtually useless at
worst if you need specific source citations!

Clearly, a standard of some kind needs to be developed and USED CONSISTENTLY,
otherwise, the electronic navigation of books is going to be a mess forever,
for everyone, sighted or not!  And every day, the pile of books with "bad"
navigation grows higher and higher!

Deb Outland
Lexington, Kentucky