[bksvol-discuss] Re: DAISY headers question

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:33:14 -0600

This Daisy format business is something I am also wanting to understand
better, in all sorts of ways -- as a person who scans and submits, and as a
proofreader of submitted books, and just as a reader of books in the
collection.

First -- What Daisy reader software are most of you using?

I am using a Book Port from APH. the Victor Stream from Humanware, with the
3.1 upgraded sofware.

And on my pc, I have the FS Reader most recent updated version 1.1.079 in
2007. I only just installed that update yesterday.
I had just gotten a Netbook and with no reader on there, I had to go and
figure out how to get my FS Reader on there, so this was a recent issue.
The free daisy reader on the bookshare website is a Victor software
something, and I did not ever care for it, or maybe just did not learn how
to use it. Do any of you use that?  I had not known until visiting the
Freedom Scientific site that there was an update to the FS Reader, and I
installed it and find it has more ability to do more Daisy navigation.  I
guess it is level 3, maybe?  I don't really know.

Second -- how much navigation should be possible using the Daisy format
books we download from Bookshare?

I notice that in my experience, it seems we have had for some time
navigation only by page numbers, and that is all.  Is this correct for you
folks? That has been okay for me, but I do like this more enhanced
navigation, too. Previously I would just create bookmarks as I went along
and that was fine.

I was just looking at my most recent book submission, "Younger Next Year for
Women" which was scanned in Kurzweil K-1000 and proofread by Lori, on this
list.  Thanks very much Lori!  Great job!

I downloaded the new Bookshare edition in Daisy format, and I noticed that
there were separations by more than just page numbers.
The Bookport just only navigates the book by page numbers. But in the FS
Reader there are numerous other headings and sub headings.

I don't know if Lori put in these separate navigational breaks, or if the
Bookshare administrator or if it is automatic or what? Just curious to
understand it is all.

There were some chapters broken out, and there were some not
Or if they were they in some subsections of other things.  Seems all sort of
mysterious to me.
For example, there were separations of each roman numeral page.  And then
the last roman numeral heading had within it separate sub headings of the
forward, the Introduction and each of the chapters 1 through 9. And then
that is stopped, and there is a new big heading heading. It is simply called
letter A with an exclamation mark -- A!.  Under it is the chapters 10
through 20, and then after that, the post book stuff like author notes, etc.

Then this was also neat to discover.  I discovered that within the chapter
headings there are sub sections of the book.  Wow, how cool, I said to
myself.  How did this all happen? Did Lori do this?  Or is this Bookshare
admin putting that all together?  Since it seemed some of the navigation
aforementioned above seemed a little odd, I figured it must be an automated
thing, is that right?

And I wonder, how did the sub headings get identified?  Was it their font
size or something like that?

For my own use, when I scan a book for personal use, I have been creating
multiple levels of Daisy in books I scan and then creating daisy audio mp3
versions of them.  I put them at multi levels so I can navigate them easily,
and find them pretty enjoyable to read. But I don't always go through all
that work and more often just read 'em through lickety split anyway.

Thanks as awlays.

I still have 2 books in my Scans in Process queque awating a Bookshare
volunteer to Proofread them.

1 - Younger Next Year

2 - A People's History Of Sports In The United States