[bksvol-discuss] Currently scanning

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:14:58 -0600

I know there are many historical fiction fans out there, so I figured I'd let
you all know what I'm currently scanning, in case there is a potential
validator amongst you. It's Courtesan by Diane Haegar. It's a pretty thick
book, nearly 600 pages as a paperback. I'm about a third of the way through it,
and the scan seems to be quite clean thus far.

Here's the synopsis:

The Court of François I is full of lust, intrigue, and bawdy bon temps-a
different world from the quiet country life Diane de Poitiers led with her
elderly
husband. Now a widow, the elegant Diane is called back to Court, where the
King's obvious interest marks her as an enemy to the King's favourite, Anne
d'Heilly. The Court is soon electrified by rumors of their confrontations. As
Anne calls on her most venomous tricks to drive Diane away, Diane finds an
ally in the one member of Court with no allegiance to the King's mistress: his
teenage second son, Henri.

Neglected by his father and disliked by his brothers, Prince Henri expects
little from his life. But as his friendship with Diane deepens into infatuation
and then a romance that scandalizes the Court, the Prince begins to discover
hope for a future with Diane. But fate and his father have other plans for
Henri-including a political marriage with Catherine de Medici. Despite daunting
obstacles, Henri's devotion to Diane never wanes; their passion becomes
one of the most legendary romances in the history of France.

If you'd like to validate it, let me know, and I'll happily hold it for you.
You can contact me via the list, or at:
solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx

Shannon
Women will starve in silence until new stories are created which confer on them
the power of naming themselves.