[bksvol-discuss] Re: Courtesy

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 05:21:28 -0700

What gets me is I feel for you guys. I'm wondering is Bookshare staff on the
ball about this. It doesn't do to alienate volunteers who are doing their
very best to insure excellent quality books being added to the collection
only to have their work undercut by others. Isn't Pavi or Carrie advocating
for your work? Why isn't there some communications to these outsourcers
informing them that they should do something else as other folks, namely you
lot, are scanning and proofreading the following titles? I really think the
volunteers need a staunch ombudsman or arbitrator to make sure that what you
scan and proofread isn't swept from out of your hands unless you give it
over. I think this is not only a matter of courtesy but a need for
communication and co-ordination among all the participants -- Bookshare
staff, the volunteers, and the outsourcers. I really think Staff should not
allow resentments to grow making the volunteers discouraged or feel
undervalued. It's very nice they talk the talk, but they have to walk the
walk, I.e., do some serious actions to make sure volunteers know that the
staff is for them and not sabotaging them. I may not understand the history
here, and maybe I'm off base, but something must be done somehow. Regards,
Kim.

  _____