[bksvol-discuss] Re: Copyrights and synopses

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:47:30 -0500

Hi Tony,
    As yu will note, I said previously, these books and their accompanying
documentation, copyright, synopsis, etc. are reviewed by BookShare
Administration before going live on to the site where search engines can get
at it. I'm sure Gustavo and whoever else has a hand in approving books is
well aware that we as volunteers/submitters regularly include dust jackets
in their entirety.
    I would suggest that if you are this concerned about fair use that you
write to Gustavo and ask his opinion as a staff member. All bringing this up
on the list does is get a lot of opinions,  wrong information circulated,
and one volunteer telling another what to do when that volunteer admits to
lacking knowledge of BookShare policy. This is something that a BookShare
staff member needs to address not you or any other volunteer who thinks they
know the law best.
    I know that probably sounds harsh, but it seems that this is something
that should go directly to admins as we as volunteers cannot dictate the
habbits of others.

The policy discussed in the past dealt with synopsis from places like
Amazon.com. These obviously are synopsis NOT on the book therefore, we
should not copy them directly. Paraphrasing is of course permitted.

Perhaps I'm right and perhaps you are, I simply and going with that all my
submissions have been accepted.

Jake