[bksvol-discuss] Re: Copyright issues

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:43 -0600

G.Cindy,

Could you post the URLs for the Library of Congress Catalog and the US Copyright Office that you use for copyright look-up? I forgot to keep them... smile.

Thanks!

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grandma Cindy wrote:
That's the answer I came up with, too, after checking
the Library of Congress Catalog. I didn't think of
World Cat for catalog info, but I've used it for other
things. I think it's great and hope it continues to be
available to us, the public.

G.Cindy

--- Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I wanted to expand on copyright issues a bit, after
discussing this more
with Carrie.
As many of you know, copyright notice is required as
part of the Chafee
Amendment, specifically we must "include a copyright
notice identifying
the copyright owner and the date of the original
publication."

So, the problem comes up on occasion, especially
with older books, on
exactly who the copyright owner is when the title or
similar pages don't
say.  Our goal is to be diligent about getting this
right, but I believe
that we don't have to reject books based on this. We should be able to
search the U.S. Copyright Office, Library of
Congress and WorldCat.org
to see what the copyright owner and date of original
publication is.  In
this case of the book Ideas and beliefs of the
Victorians: an historic
revaluation of the Victorian Age, the author seemed
to be the British
Broadcasting Corporation and the publisher Sylvan
Press.  The date of
original publication was clearly 1949. So, I voted
for Sylvan Press as
the copyright owner: basically a default to
publisher policy if the
copyright owner isn't clearly indicated in the book
itself or these
three authoritative data sources.  If we're wrong,
and the BBC contacts
us to make this point, we change it.  The odds of
this happening are
pretty darn long, and the difference is minor: our
users still get
access to this book in the U.S. under Chafee.

I'll check with our real attorney to confirm this as
a reasonable
policy. Jim

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is available at http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/Book_Requests.htm
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/