[bksvol-discuss] Copyright Question

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:38:25 -0400

I am currently scanning What Is To Be Done? by V.I. Lenin and I am making my way through it slowly and it will still be some time before I submit it, but I am wondering about how to enter the copyright date and copyright holder when I do so. This is a Marxist classic and so there are many many editions that have been published around the world in many languages and with many copyrights. I am not sure that the edition I am scanning has a copyright though. The original edition was published in 1902 and I don't know what the publisher of that edition was and whether it had a copyright then. It was published as a political polemic and the publisher may have been the Russian Social Democratic Labor Party and if it was they might not have been worried about it having a copyright because they would have wanted it to get as much circulation as possible and they were not out to make money on it. The edition I am scanning was published by Progress Publishers in 1964. On the title page there is a stamp that says, printed in the Soviet Union. Progress Publishers was the publishing wing of the Soviet government. It was similar to the U.S. printing office and publications by the U.S government are not copyrighted, but I would not bet that would apply to other governments. In any case, there is no mention of a copyright holder nor a copyright date in it anywhere, only that it was published in 1964 by Progress Publishers in the Soviet Union. Can someone tell me what to put in the copyright holder and copyright date fields when I submit it?
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.