[bksvol-discuss] Re: Converting KES to RTF

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:23:22 -0500

Shelley, The dashes that we were discussing that are prone to disappear were hyphens so they are the single dash. Of course what you say is perfectly true, just not what was being discussed. :-)

If you don't want to spend the money and don't think the extra features in version 10 would be of that much use to you that is a good reason not to get it, but I wouldn't decide not to get it just because of the one issue. I do hope it is a feature that is decided is actually more like a bug and removed in a patch in the near future, though. ;-)

With some experimenting I found that I can't get Kurzweil to find two page breaks in a row, so I can't find blank pages that way. I will just have to remember to put something on them when I read through the book the first time. It wasn't that none occurred in the book. Kurzweil gave me an error message saying I couldn't search across page boundaries. Is it only me? I do have version 10 installed and it is very aware that it is version 10.

I couldn't get Word to find two page breaks together either. I tested very thoroughly, but don't feel like writing everything I did. I won't believe it is possible unless someone tells me it worked for them and exactly how they did it.
I was hoping that would be a complete solution to the validators' problems. You can open the RTF in Word and see what page first has a page number. Then you can read the status line to find out the page number as Word counts them. Subtract the number you found in the text from the number you get from the status line. Whatever number you get should be the number that the pages are off if all pages are present. You can then go to the end of the file and press control-page-up until you get a page with a number at the top. Add the number you got in your first calculation to this page number and see if it matches what now appears in the status line. If the math matches then the books page numbering should be just fine. You can close the file without saving and open it in Kurzweil to edit as usual. Don't change any page breaks while in Kurzweil and when finish check numbering in Word again. Now if it is messed up the worrying can begin, because who knows where the problem occurred and what caused it. :-(

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

----- Original Message ----- From: <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>