[bksvol-discuss] Re: Confused.

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:22:38 -0600

A Page Break indicates the beginning of a new page.  When you open a new
file and begin typing,, the text eventually spills over onto another page
once the current page fills up with text.  You can force the Word Processor
to begin a new page, even though you haven't reached the bottom of the
current page, by inserting a Page Break.

Bookshare policy requires that books contain Page Breaks in order to be
added to the collection.  This allows readers to jump to a specify page in
DAISY books and allows Bookshare to preserve the original page numbering in
BRF books.

Page Breaks won't be evident in your file unless your Word Processor
indicates where they are.  You'll need to determine if it supports this
since you aren't using something like Word or K-1000 to validate books and
aren't exactly sure what you are using.

It's possible that Stratus Pad, or whatever it is that you're using, is
responsible for removing the Page Breaks, or that instead of Page Breaks,
the book contains Section Breaks that indicate the beginning of a new page
and that Stratus Pad doesn't support Section Breaks.  We discovered back in
the Fall that WordPad doesn't support Section Breaks, so books which are
scanned by Carrie then validated using WordPad will be kicked back by
Gustavo for the reason you mentioned.

BTW, Gustavo's comment probably read to not remove Page Breaks, and that if
they weren't removed, then to reject the book, instead of if they were
removed to reject the book.

My suggestion would be to tell the list which book you are talking about and
let someone who uses Word or K-1000 verify that the scan contains Page
Breaks.  Once you are certain the the scan does indeed contain Page Breaks,
or possibly Section Breaks, then you can more easily determine how to verify
if they are present and if your Stratus Pad is throwing them out.

HTH

Gerald