[bksvol-discuss] Re: Confused!

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 08:58:00 -0500

Chapter headers are very important.  The lucky thing is that there are not
so many of them.
Page numbers would be nice,  but are not as important, at least for
novels.
For scholarly materials they are much more important.
If you put in page numbers,  put them on the very first line of the page,
by themselves,  left justified,  then leave a blank line below.
Or at the very bottom of a page, left justified, by themselves, preceeded
by a blank line.
Page numbers will then be included in the Daisy page tag by the Bookshare
system.  Although they look as if they have been stripped,  they will
still be in the file and referenceable/searchable by any Daisy reader.

Future modifications to the Bookshare system may create more flexible
rendering of page numbers.  But policy is, as much as possible,  to leave
page numbers intact and normalize their appearance at the top or bottom of
pages as described above.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
Research Division,
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

Pascha Lea <pascha2u@xxxxxxxxx>
06/06/2005 08:44 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Confused!

Hi,
I'm relatively new to volunteering at Bookshare, and I'm only doing
validation as I don't have a scanner.

I've started getting hard-copies from the local library when validating in
order to clean up the many typos/dropped words that I'm finding with the
books I'm validating. I'm also only validating txt/rtf files because I am
sighted and don't have any text-readers/braille software.

Now - here is my confusion. I was catching up on my mailing-lists and
noticed there was several long discussions about chapter headers, page
breaks and page numbers. After reading this stuff I'm afraid I've made a
horrible mistake in a book or two that I've validated and submitted.

I've basically been stripping out all chapter headers, page numbers and -
*gulp* - page breaks, because that is always how I've put together scanned
books in the past for my husband to read (he uses Jaws and then just opens
up the books as text files). This was obviously very ignorant of me.

I'm currently working on a book, which I've gone back and added the page
breaks. Do I also need to add the page numbers and chapter headers? Is
this an absolute necessity?

Help!

Lea
Discover Yahoo!