[bksvol-discuss] Re: Colleen McCullough going blind

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:42:24 -0500

I have found the following link on Ms. McCullough loss of sight:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9655252%255E662,00.html

Per the article,  it appears that Colleen McCullough is currently not
aware of access technology for the visually impaired and for the blind, as
she seems to imply that she may no longer be able to write if blind.  The
rapid onset of her blindness may indicate it is caused by Wet Macular
Degeneration.  According to what I have read,  this form may be more
problematic to treat than the more common 'dry' type.

While we -- reading these pages -- are all well-adjusted blind people,
there is little doubt that sudden loss of sight can be significantly
traumatic.  In some cases its emotional impact has been compared to that
caused by the loss of a loved one.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/25/2004 01:35 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Colleen McCullough going blind

Only problem is ... if she lives in Australia she couldn't use bookshare.
Still it would be good for her to know that book writing and reading is by
no means just for the sighted. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net