[bksvol-discuss] Re: Collection Number As of the End of the Year

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:16:10 -0500

Another unfortunate thing about the Open Library Daisy books is that they could really stand some proofreading. They all appear to be raw scans. From what I have seen of raw scans on the Bookshare checkout list they are pretty good raw scans, but they are still full of errors. I am on the Open Library email list and they are discussing ways to improve the scans. They are discussing the possibility of software that would correct common scannos. They do not seem to even be interested in human proofreaders.

On 12/31/2011 7:40 PM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
The unfortunate part with the accessible Open Library books from the
Internet Archive is that they lack a table of contents.  They are not
in Daisy version 2.2 format like Bookshare books but in Daisy 3.0,
which means they cannot be read on a computer and only on a device
like the Stream, Bookport Plus, Book sense, or Plextalk Pocket.  The
Open Library folks could learn a lot from Bookshare on how to provide
highly effective and useful accessible books for people with
disabilities.

Kelly

On 12/31/11, Cindy<popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
That is very impressive!  probably a larger collection han some small public
libraries. Congratulations to everyone

Cindy