[bksvol-discuss] Re: Collaborative Editing System

  • From: "Pavi Mehta" <pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:10:18 -0700

Hi All,

Thank you to all who checked out the Writeboard link, and offered edits,
comments and suggestions!

It's clear that there are several things to be worked out before this process
works smoothly and efficiently, but I do want to thank Dianna for taking the
initiative that she did -- it kick-started the process for me, and I am
optimistic overall about the collaboration effort.

*       Robert: The wiki is a good idea, and one that we may set in place
eventually. Writeboard has a relatively simple interface and seemed like a good
place to "pilot" collaborative work.
*       Mike: Thanks for the feedback on Writeboard. Glad you found it easy to
use. Two of our staff members were kind enough to test it out for accessibility
before I sent out the link.
*       Sue and Susan: To clarify - there is no intention to rewrite the
volunteer manual from scratch. But we would like it to be more comprehensive
and have it include a few easy-to-skim-through checklists. The volunteer lists
provide daily expertise in an informal way. The idea behind this collaboration
was to capture and compile your collective expertise in a more systematic way.
Final editing of the manual will be done by staff to ensure a consistent and
professional tone.
*       E: Great to hear you have a compilation of frequently asked questions,
Dianna and I have been maintaining similar lists. If you are open to the idea
perhaps we could pool or compilations and create a Master List (maybe on
Writeboard itself) to work with. The Q & A format you suggest is a good idea,
and we are definitely thinking along those lines for the new version of the
manual.
*       Julia: Thanks for your feedback on the checklist (smile) Confusing is
definitely not what we were going for, but it is a start and we will keep
working to make it better!

Some of you have already sent in questions that you would like to see answered
in the new version of the manual, if others have identified gaps that need
filling do direct them my way.
It may seem like a hodgepodge effort in the beginning but I do think that there
is 'a method in the madness' and that the results of a collective process in
this case will be far richer than anything produced by an individual.

All good things,

Pavi Mehta
Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare

Benetech