[bksvol-discuss] Re: Cherry Ames books

  • From: "gwen tweedy" <gstweedy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:00:38 -0500

My daughter is on caring bridge too

----- Original Message ----- From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:39 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Cherry Ames books

I think you hit the nail on the head, Judy. For me it is a form of escape. I have faced life-and-death decisions for so many years in caring for critically ill people that it is nice to see nursing in its simpler, more noble form. I could go on and on about medicine now versus then, but the most important thing to me is just sharing the joy of reading with another generation. Same as my love for Anne of Green Gables and other childhood favorites. I'm just glad that I have a daughter who loves books and am thrilled that she will soon have the ability to read more books and choose more books on her own. There is a desperate need to provide literacy opportunities of wide ranges for children with more significant disabilities. Too often the only opportunities they are given are audiotapes, and while that is wonderful, and can give them exposure to literature, there is something beautiful about seeing the printed word come alive.

Valerie

Check out my kids at:

 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicholemaples <new>
 http://www.caringbridge.org/ms/nicholemaples
 http://www.caringbridge.org/ms/cindymaples
 http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jorgemaples

On 08 17, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Judy s. wrote:

I think I'm part of that same "kids who never grew up club," Gwen. smile. Several of the scanners and proofreaders here, including me, like to work on children's and young adult books that we either enjoyed ourselves when young, or wish we'd been able to read. It certainly is a nice break from those grown up woes, isn't it?

Judy s.

gwen tweedy wrote:
I love to read books I never took the time or thought they were to big when I was little,
I am still a kid even though I am 56 years old.
oh well, some of us never grow up,
or need an  escape from so much grown up whoas!