[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chat announcements

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 08:21:57 -0400

Morning all,

Ahem, first of all, which line are you referring to, Tony? If you mean "For immediate distribution", this does indeed need to be in an announcement of this kind for the Internet. Why? Because every post that is made on the Net is copyrighted to its author. That is why many, many email discussion lists do not permit cross posting of material from one list to next. The placement of this phrase at the beginning of this post of Pat's indicates that she is giving permission for her announcement to be cross posted. This is very important when an announcement is cross posted to another list. It removes the need for checking with the original poster for her permission for its distribution.

As for press releases which are meant for distribution to members of the press, be it TV radio and print, the format of such a release may be more important. However, this release is meant for distribution on email lists for PWD, Bookshare lists and so on. It's not actually going to The Press, capital T and capital P.

I think you need to learn a mite more about the difference between announcements and their target markets and actuall official Press Releases which go to the Paverozzi. You might also want to research copyright laws and their application to email discussion lists. Oh, and don't tell me I am talking through my hat because I've been running email discussions since before you were born, probably. You sound like you're about seventeen. I started in 1990. As I'm the lady who's running the Mystery Book Club, I figure I have a right to comment here.

Now, if that isn't the line to which you are referring, I'll retract my post and start over. I often read email quickly, and have made mistakes in my understanding of what I thought was meant.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring