[bksvol-discuss] Re: Characters

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 13:35:10 -0400

Don't know about the c acute, but the o with a line over it is a macron. There's a chart of special characters including the macrons in an article in Wikipedia on the Pali language. The problem is that those characters will not reproduce in braille. There's a book on Bookshare containing Pali words with macrons in them, and those characters are blank in the brf version of the book. So what came out is a book with numerous words with one or more blank spaces in them where the vowells with macrons are supposed to be. It doesn't make for a very pleasant reading experience. I am debating whether to even bother with these diacritical marks. I've got some good books on Buddhism here that contain these macrons, among other diacritical marks in the Pali words, and I keep vacillating on whether to try to reproduce them or not. The point is to communicate the content after all, and if the braille translator is going to interfere with that, then I would just as soon leave them out. On the other hand, I really want to reproduce books as faithfully as I can for Bookshare. So I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Gary Petraccaro
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 9:55 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Characters

I'm looking for two characters. One is an o with a straight line over it, as
in a Japanese No play.  The other is an c acute.  I have checked an ascii
chart for the second, but I'm not sure that my software represents it.  I
want to double check that.  The o I have no idea what to search for.
Thanks.