[bksvol-discuss] Re: Chapter Headings

  • From: "Bob W" <rwiley45@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:38:38 -0600

Hi Mike.

You did a beautiful job of laying out the book "constructing ideas" so that someone could go through it quite easily without having to resort to straight reading.

Whenever I proofread a book like this I often ask myself what would help me if I were a college student using this book as part of a research paper, at four a.m. on the day the paper is due. "constructing ideas" meets this test gloriously.

If you have other books you wish to check on their layout, let me know and I'd be glad to check it for you. If you have books with intricate layouts like this book, where you need a proofreader who will pay attention to the layout, I'd be happy to do it for you. Just let me know.

Here is the contents that Kurzweil constructed using its "summarize" tool.
Bookmarks for Constructing_Ideas.opf.

1 NOTICE (1) This is the page that bookshare inserts in all of its books.

1.1 Copyright Notice (1)

1.2 Limitation of Liability; Indemnity by User (1)

1.3 Permitted Use; Limited Waiver of Privacy Principles and Laws (1)

1.4 Book Quality (1) end of bookshare insert.

2 "To be used in conjunction with (CONSTRUCTING IDEAS - LANCE LAVINE ... (2)

3 Constructing IDEAS (3)

4 Constructing IDEAS Understanding Architecture (5)

4.1 ACKNOWLEDGMENTS (9)

4.2 CONTENTS (13)

4.3 INTRODUCTION (15)

4.4 Chapter 1 ARICHITECTURE: IDEAS, DEFINITIONS, PURPOSES (17)

4.4.1 Architecture as an idea-making discipline (17)

4.4.2 Architectural ideas (20)

4.4.3 Definitions of architecture (28)

4.4.4 Purposes of architecture (33)

4.4.5 Architecture allows us to belong with one another in nature. (35)

4.5 Chapter 2 THE DOGON AND THE ISSUE OF DOMAIN (37)

4.5.1 Issue What is an architectural domain? (37)

4.5.2 How have people established architectural domains? (39)

4.5.3 How have our definitions of domain changed over time? (41)

4.5.4 How might we think of domain today? (43)

4.5.5 The Dogon (46)

4.5.5.1 Description of a Dogon village (46)

4.5.5.2 Dogon thought, values, and myth of origin (47)

4.5.5.3 Domains of the Dogon (49)

4.5.6 Closing thoughts (51)

4.6 Chapter 3 DOMAINS IN POST 1850 Architecture (57)

4.6.1 Background (57)

4.6.2 Vila Mairea (60)

4.6.2.1 The house (60)

4.6.2.2 Domains (61)

4.6.3 Sea Ranch condominiums (66)

4.6.3.1 The condominiums (66)

4.6.3.2 Domain (67)

4.6.4 Central Beheer (69)

4.6.4.1 Domains (71)

4.6.5 Southdale Shopping Center (74)

4.6.5.1 Domains (76)

4.6.6 Closing thoughts (78)

4.7 Chapter 4 THE PARTHENON AND THE CONCEPT OF ORDER IN ARCHITECTURE (81)

4.7.1 Issue (81)

4.7.2 Architectural definitions of order (83)

4.7.3 The Golden Age of Greece (85)

4.7.4 Greek thought and architectural order (89)

4.7.5 The Parthenon (91)

4.7.5.1 Order in the Parthenon (92)

4.7.5.2 Human construction in the landscape (92)

4.7.5.3 Architectural elements unto themselves (93)

4.7.5.4 Element to element (93)

4.7.5.5 Orthogonal organizations (94)

4.7.5.6 Proportion (95)

4.7.5.7 Repetition (96)

4.7.5.8 Font and side (96)

4.7.5.9 Entry, center, and edge (96)

4.7.5.10 The order of threes (97)

4.7.5.11 Similarity and comparative meaning (98)

4.7.5.12 Deformation and visual versus geometric order (98)

4.7.6 Closing thoughts (99)

4.8 Chapter 5 ORDER IN ARCHITECTURE AFTER 1850 (103)

4.8.1 Background (103)

4.8.2 The Robie House (105)

4.8.2.1 Entry (106)

4.8.2.2 The house one room wide (106)

4.8.2.3 Center and edge (108)

4.8.2.4 The house reconfigures the site (109)

4.8.3 Villa Savoye (111)

4.8.3.1 Two slabs and three domains (112)

4.8.3.2 The 16 perimeter columns (113)

4.8.3.3 One-way beams atop the perimeter columns (113)

4.8.3.4 Entry and ramp at the center (114)

4.8.3.5 The conditional column (116)

4.8.3.6 The sun and the order of domains (116)

4.8.3.7 The two courtyards as definition of the manmade outside (117)

4.8.3.8 Definitions of Inside and outside (118)

4.8.3.9 Front and back as the outcome of columns and walls (120)

4.8.4 The German Pavilion in Barcelona (121)

4.8.4.1 Reduction to essential horizontal planes (122)

4.8.4.2 Reduction to essential vertical planes (123)

4.8.4.3 Spatial organization (125)

4.8.5 Philips Exeter library (126)

4.8.5.1 Arcaded top and bottom (131)

4.8.5.2 The exterior edge as the place of change (131)

4.8.5.3 The skylit interior volume as the place of permanence (131)

4.8.5.4 Study carrels at the edge and reference books at the center (132)

4.8.6 Closing thoughts (133)

4.9 Chapter 6 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL AND ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY (135)

4.9.1 Issue (135)

4.9.2 Cathedral at Chartres (142)

4.9.2.1 Architectural technology in cathedral at Chartres (143)

4.9.2.2 Architectural technology as metaphorical thought (147)

4.9.3 Closing thoughts (153)

4.10 Chapter 7 TECHNOLOGY IN ARCHITECTURE AFTER 1850 (157)

4.10.1 Background (157)

4.10.1.1 Modern physics (157)

4.10.1.2 What it means to be human (158)

4.10.1.3 Technology and the Industrial Revolution (158)

4.10.1.4 Population growth, urbanization, and democracy (158)

4.10.1.5 The rate of change (159)

4.10.1.6 The development of modern architectural technology (160)

4.10.2 The Crystal Palace (163)

4.10.3 Centre Pompidou (169)

4.10.4 Casa Barragán (179)

4.10.5 Closing thoughts (182)

4.11 Chapter 8 KATSURA IMPERIAL VILLA AND THE IDEALIZED LANDSCAPE (185)

4.11.1 Issue (185)

4.11.2 Values attached to the idealized landscape (187)

4.11.3 Natural process as counterpoint to human construction (188)

4.11.4 Katsura Imperial Villa (189)

4.11.5 Katsura as an idealized landscape (195)

4.11.5.1 Closing thoughts (199)

4.12 Chapter 9 THE IDEALIZED LANDSCAPE AFTER 1850 (205)

4.12.1 Background (205)

4.12.2 Pastoralism as a poetic mage of the landscape (207)

4.12.3 Machu Picchu (209)

4.12.4 Woodland Cemetery (211)

4.12.5 The Kings Road House (214)

4.12.6 Central Park (218)

4.12.7 Ecological visions of the idealized landscape (221)

4.12.8 Closing thoughts (225)

4.13 Chapter 10 THE DIFFERENCES THAT ARCHITECTURE MAKES (227)

4.13.1 Comparative Understanding (230)

4.13.2 Idealized landscapes, Villa Savoye, and the Kings Road house (231)

4.13.3 Domain, Dogon, and Central Beheer (232)

4.13.4 The order of natural light in Casa Barragán and the Robie House (234)

4.13.5 People as the subject of architecture (236)

4.13.6 More than compositional image (238)

4.13.7 Architecture is, by nature a positive pursuit (239)

4.14 INDEX OF IMAGES (243)

4.15 INDEX (246)

Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>