[bksvol-discuss] Censorship was heaven help me, folks!

  • From: "Lisa Belville" <lisab12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 20:58:32 -0600

Hi, Liz.

I don't think this issue of adult books not being visible to non-logged in visitors is so much a censorship issue as it is an unintentional oversight.

If someone who is under eighteen finds an adult rated book, they do have the ability to have their parent or guardian modify their subscription. Whether or not someone allows their child to access material they consider inappropriate isn't the concern of Bookshare, just as it isn't the concern of a regular library.

I think it's safe to say that most of us, regardless of our political affiliation, agree that the point of a venture like Bookshare is to get the information out to those who have traditionally had a hard time learning about it and obtaining it. Not giving anyone and everyone the opportunity to see what Bookshare has to offer would do the cause a huge disservice, IMO.

I've been volunteering with BS for nearly four years, and I've noticed that most of the changes and upgrades to the web site have come about as a direct result of the volunteers expressing their opinions and offering suggestions. It might take them a while, but I'm confident that the powers that be will read these messages and take our concerns into consideration when designing future site upgrades.

I can't promise that the change will happen over night, because it probably won't. LOL But it will happen eventually if enough of us express our concerns.

Lisa

Original Message ----- From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>