[bksvol-discuss] Re: Carrie's Scans And Word Weirdness

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:17:37 -0600

Monica, and Carrie and Tom,

I had this exact issue you describe with the Ramblin' Man book which was a
finereader 8 scan that Carrie had put up.  I had other stuff to figure out
too, like it being all in some formatting code block, and in 2 column mode,
and some of the fonts would not talk.  I had never tried to figure out about
the breaks before. It had that issue where there was a hard return at each
line, and I did that step by step list of replacements as noted on volunteer
tips.  But afterward I did have to go and put in page breaks where they were
needed as they had all become section breaks. Or at least I think that
happened af that time. Plus there were a lot of column breaks, too.  I just
wound up reading or at least skimming the whole book and fixing it up as I
went along.  Took a long time but I am a big Woody Guthrie fan and I just
took the time.  But I will say it sure had good good really good character
recognition.  And Carrie was kind enough to help me along the way with it,
and sent me text where the beginning of some chapters were not parsible.

I hope Carrie or you folks can figure it out. It does seem like it must be a
thing with the finereader software.  Wow, so nice to have a crew like you
folks to crunch and solve stuff.  Cool  Perhaps if there are needed things
for us validators to do, it can be posted and I'll try to not have to
remember what all to do.

Thanks.
Rik